HOUSE WATCH PROGRAM
Whether it is a weekend trip or a month long excursion, the Dalhart Police Department wants to help make your vacation an enjoyable one. One of the first steps is making sure that your home is in order while you are away. Many times, vacationers can really get in a rush and leave their homes wide open to a burglar. Often times, homeowners will leave so fast that they even forget to close and lock the doors. Before you leave, here are a few tips to make sure you and your home are ready:
- If you will be leaving home for a long time, stop all mail and newspaper deliveries.
- Make arrangements to have your lawn mowed, pets fed and watered and residence checked by a trusted neighbor or family member.
- A week or so before leaving would be a good time to check locks on doors and windows. If anything needs to be repaird gt it done.
- When you leave secure your home. Check every door and window.
- Leave lights on a timer to alternate room to room.
- About a week before you leave, come to the Dalhart Police Department and pick up a house watch for and fill it out. Or print the form of of the web site, fill it out and bring it in to the police department.
- Make sure you complete all the information on the house watch form to include a number where you can be reached in case of an emergency or burglary.
- Prior to your departure, bring the completed house watch form to the Dalhart Police Department and turn it in to the Clerks on duty. *NOTE* This can be done anytime between 8AM and 5PM Monday through Friday.
- Residences that are a part of the Dalhart House Watch Program will be checked for a period of fourteen (14) days from the date of issuance. If you are going to be gone for more than 14 days, please let us know and we will extend the watch.